I’ve recently realized there’s no cure for the common asshole either.
Man, we are a cranky bunch. By “we,” I mean everyone in the grocery store, on the highway and on social media. Plus a few others over there in Florida.
Insert standard rant about lack of consideration, sense of entitlement (I’m looking at you, asshole in the BMW on the freeway), and basic rudeness. Blah… Blah… Blah.
You know what I mean. Because you feel it too. The assholes are everywhere. And they are breeding.
It’s enough to make you despair for our future.
You see them everywhere. Work. School. Costco. And don’t get me started about Walmart.
And sometimes I see one staring back at me in a mirror.
Yep. I’ll be honest, all of these assholes sometimes get to me, and I act like… well, an asshole.
I can’t control other people, but I can do something about myself.
Here’s what I’m trying to do about it:
- Say thank you and please. All the time.
- Tip the barista.
- Listen. Even when I don’t want to.
- Distribute compliments.
- Tell jokes.
- Laugh as much as possible.
- Tell people when I’m thinking of them.
- Saying “no” to stuff that I don’t want to do.
- Reserving my energy to the people I care about the most.
- Go outside.
- Admire art.
- Send someone a card in the mail.
- Eat ice cream.
- Eat chocolate.
- Let cars out in traffic.
- Read good books.
- Talk to real people.
- Stay off Facebook.
- Stay off all social media.
- Take pictures of my kids.
- Enjoy the food on my plate.
- Play fetch with my dog.
- Buy more vegetables from farmers markets.
- Eat more of the vegetables I buy.
- Cut myself some slack when I forget everything on this list.
When you have a cold, there’s no pill to fix it. The doctor tells you every time: rest, fluids, sleep.
It works eventually. The cold is gone, and you feel better.
I strongly suspect it works for assholes too.